STEP I. COPY files from original disc(s) to the PC
- Select an item with old CD’s or DVD’s
- On PC connected to flatbed, go to the G:\copy folder subdirectory and make a new folder labeled with the appropriate item ID (e.g., FI12345678)
- Count number of original discs to determine whether to burn gold CD’s or DVD’s. If number of CD’s equals or exceeds 3, or if the number of original discs are DVD’s, burn to gold DVD's. Otherwise, burn to gold CD’s.
- Place original disc in drive. For CD’s, use the upper drive; for DVD’s, use the lower drive.
- Right click mouse to use ‘Properties’ feature to note down number of files in the folder and the total size of the folder – you will use this data in Step 8b below.
- Copy source folder on original disc to destination folder on PC.
- In the event there are multiple original discs, repeat Steps 4 through 6 for each. It is okay to overwrite the thumbs.db file.
- Once all files from the original disc(s) have been copied to the PC, perform the following QA/QC measures on the files now residing on the PC:
- In Adobe Bridge, view thumbnails to make sure all are present and visible
- In Windows Explorer, compare number of files in folder and size of folder against same numbers for the original disc(s). They should match! If they do not match, perform Step 6 again until they do.
- If there are multiple folders on the PC, select and move all files from each folder into the first folder. This folder should contain all the files for this object. Once empty, the other folders should be deleted.
STEP II: Set up burn job in Roxio (but do not run the job yet!)
- Open Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 and in the right-hand panel labeled 'Most Frequent Tasks' and click on 'Data Disc'.
- Under "Destination Selection" in the bottom-center pane, select which drive holds the destination disc(s). Drive E is for CD's; Drive F is for DVD's.
- In the lower right-hand pane, click on “Data Disc” options to select the following parameters for the burn job:
- Under the “CD Recording Options”, select:
Type: Track at Once (TAO), Open
Mode: Mode 1
File System: ISO + Joliet (106 character file names)
- Under “Write-Once DVD Compatibility” section set the defaults to “I only need to use discs for one recording.
- Make sure “Verify data written to the disc after burning” is checked
- If the job involves multiple discs, click on ‘Advanced’ options under 'Data' and check the box labeled ‘Enable disc spanning for Data Disc'. This means the burning will continue across multiple discs.
- Click “ok” and the defaults will be set for the next time.
- If burning a DVD, go to General -> Advanced and choose the following settings: Drive = Plextor (F:) and DVD = 8.0x
- In the top pane of the Roxio screen, click ‘Add folder’ and select the folder on PC that contains the files to be burned to disc.
- In that same top pane, next to the blue disc icon, type in the Item Id as the label for the disc.
- In the bottom left-hand pane of the Roxio screen, look to see how many discs are required to perform the burn job. Note this number to use in Step III.
- Minimize the Window with the burn job set up – do not exit out of Roxio or you may lose all your settings.
Step III. Printing the discs
- Select gold archival discs from the spindle, using the number derived in Step II-6 above as a guide.
- If you are printing CD’s, use the desktop shortcut labeled ‘cd.std’ to set up the print job. If you are printing DVD’s, use the desktop shortcut labeled ‘dvd.std’ to set up the print job.
- In the template, be sure to enter in the correct Item ID#, the number of discs being burned, and today’s date.
- Print discs.
Step IV. Run the burn job
- Return to burn job you set up in Roxio under Step II. A window will open on the right side where you can set the default options and search for the folders to burn.
- Insert the first of the discs in either the CD or DVD drive, as appropriate.
- Click on the red button at the bottom right hand. Depending on the size of the folder, it can take from 5 to 20 minutes per disc, because of the slower speeds sued for archival discs.
- In the event the burn job spans multiple discs, the system will prompt you to enter each disc.
- When the burn job is done, Roxio will notify you that the disc was burned successfully.
Step V. Cleaning up the burn job
- Check the contents of the burned disc(s) by examining the thumbnails in Windows Explorer.
- Store in protective sleeve or jewel box.
- Return original discs and gold archival disc(s) to item folder in file cabinet.
- Delete PC copy of folder on G:\copy folder subdirectory.